Thursday, July 26, 2007

Portland

My grandfather loved to garden and taught my mom how to care for plants. His and her favorite thing to care for were roses.

Today is my mother's birthday and I am so far from home, but I found myself in an appropriate place. There is a giant park here called "Washington Park." It has different beautiful areas to explore, and one of them is a huge rose garden. I walked around and wrote down different names of the various kinds of roses. Here are some of their names:

My Choice
Nearly Wild
Signature
First Light
Distant Drums
Pristine
Day Dream


It smelled so good there. There was a rainbow of rose colors.

Also today we went to a place called "Voodoo Donuts." They have a rainbow of donut flavors. They have a grape donut, and you better believe what it tastes like. We got a bucket of day old donuts for five dollars, but the bucket is so big. We cannot make a dent in it. Tonight we are going to a potluck and guess what our contribution is.

3 comments:

Sheer said...

when leanne and i went to portland 4 years ago we saw those roses!!!

you must go to powells.

Anonymous said...

i wish i coulda been there. we coulda go n a mni tour insde the tour. stay hopper. --tenlons

Anonymous said...

Ah, I love Portland.

I am one of Roxane's old Texas friends. We've met before, but briefly. I am living in Rochester, NY, looking forward to going to your show, but there doesn't seem to be a venue, do you know more, or is it up in the air.

If it helps, the best venue for your music is probably a place called Boulder Coffee Co., but it looks double-booked on Aug 11th(?):

http://myspace.com/bouldercoffeeco

Then there is the BugJar:

http://www.bugjar.com

There was the A/V Space, but they cannot host live music anymore.

If you don't play a date in Rochester, I'll come down to Ithaca to see you guys.